6.19.2006

Fun with Chopsticks



One of these days, I’ve definitely got to get myself down to McDonald’s to pick up a spoon and fork, implements which I optimistically neglected to bring, convinced that just as immersion in a foreign country is the best way to learn a language, traveling to China armed only with a few pairs of chopsticks would be the best way to improve my technique, forgetting the American food I had brought with me. Eating tuna fish with chopsticks, though an interesting challenge, is definitely possible. However, eating oatmeal with chopsticks has proven far less successful, especially since the kind of oatmeal I brought is supposed to be made in the microwave (not merely with boiling water, which is all I have access to) and so remains stubbornly both soupy and crunchy. Chopsticks are not much of a match for this little teacup full of oatmeal disaster.