6.16.2006

Beijing by the Numbers

Me

American mosquito bites: 1

Chinese mosquito bites: 3

Chinese spider bites: 1

Times I’ve eaten something without having a clue what it was: 7

Times I’ve eaten meat: 6 (I think… see above)

Times I’ve been mistaken for a German tourist: 3

Times I’ve had to ask a Chinese person how to say something: 5

Times I’ve dropped the H-bomb: 1 (probably won’t do that again…)

Travel

Taxi rides taken: 4

Honest taxi drivers encountered: 2

Hours spent on plane: 14 ½

Hours spent in the air: 13 ½

Hours spent in American airports: 7

Hours spent in Chinese airports: 1 ½

Hours slept so far: 15

Hours awake so far: 68 and counting…

Sara’s apartment

Toilets: 2

Working toilets: 1 (the other one is in a perpetual state of flush. What a waste of water!)

Sinks: 3

Working sinks: 2

Washing machines: 1

Dryers: 0 (there are no dryers in China. Weird, right?)

Beds: 10 (5 bunk beds)

Mattresses: 6

Computers: 1

Rolling blackouts: 3

My dorm room

Cans of tuna: 14

Granola bars: 31

Bananas: 3

Bottles of water: 7

Rolling blackouts: 2

Chinese books: 6

Pirated DVDs: 3